||[Contents][Next][Previous][Region 3 Home][EPA Home] |
BELL LANDFILL SITE, Terry Township, Bradford Co. - Efforts by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to control contamination at this National Priorities List (NPL) hazardous waste site have been successful. A recent EPA inspection of the site shows it no longer poses a threat to human health and the environment. Cleanup construction, which included capping 10 acres of concentrated waste and building a leachate (contaminated run-off) collection system, is now complete, and final documents are being prepared to officially record the completion. The construction was performed by three companies responsible for cleanup, E I. DuPont de Nemours, GTE and Masonite, and was accomplished in less than a year. As a result of this construction, two acres of ponds were created on-site. This spring the area will be revegetated, but birds and wildlife aren’t waiting. They’ve already been spotted returning to the site.
Background: Bell Landfill covers 33 acres. Prior to 1970, the privately owned and operated site served primarily as an open dump for municipal trash. In 1978, the state licensed the landfill to accept ferric hydroxide sludge in an asphalt-lined portion of the fill. From 1979 to 1981, 8,225 tons of sludge were disposed of at the site. After identifying numerous permit violations related to leachate collection and the material used to cover the filled material, the state closed the landfill in 1982.
LINDANE DUMP SITE, Harrison Township, Allegheny Co. - A mild winter is contributing to the smooth pace of cleanup activities at this NPL site. Construction, which began last spring, has continued through the winter with minimal downtime for bad weather. Construction is progressing on two fronts: a leachate (contaminated run-off) treatment plant and landfill cap. The final portion of the landfill is now being prepared for capping. These construction activities will reduce the risk of contact with pesticide-contaminated substances.
Background: The Lindane Dump site consists of a 43-acre closed landfill and a 14-acre recreational park. About 400 tons of powdered lindane pesticide waste and other industrial waste were dumped at the site from 1900 to 1950. Industrial waste dumping continued after the sale of the property in 1965. In 1976, a portion of the site was donated by the owner to Harrison Township for use as a park area. The groundwater and soil are contaminated with the pesticide., and leachate has been a problem.