St. Maries Creosote
For general information:
Debra Sherbina (email@example.com), Community Involvement Coordinator, 206-553-0247
For technical information:
Emerald Laija (firstname.lastname@example.org), Project Manager, 509-376-4919
The St. Maries Creosote site is located along the south bank of the St. Joe River in St. Maries, Idaho. Soil, groundwater and sediment in the river are contaminated with creosote released from a wood treating company that operated on the site from 1939 to 1960.
After years of study and design, construction to clean up contamination will begin in spring 2014. The work will take place over two construction seasons. We plan completion of the upland portion of the work in 2014 but are delaying in-river cleanup actions until 2015. Upland work to be completed this year includes building an underground wall around the contaminated soils, solidifying the deeper contaminated soils in place, and digging up and replacing shallow contaminated soils. We met with local officials and community members at a public meeting in St. Maries on March 19, 2014 to discuss impacts to the community including noise, lights, and odors. We will continue to listen to and respond to community concerns as the cleanup work gets under way.
We made four changes to the cleanup plan for the St. Maries Creosote Site. The document that describes the changes is called an Explanation of Significant Differences (PDF) (20 pp, 3MB). We issued the original cleanup plan, called a Record of Decision, in July 2007, and accepted and responded to public comments at that time. We are not accepting public comment on these four final changes.
For more information contact Debra Sherbina, Community Involvement Coordinator, at email@example.com or 800-424-4372, extension 0247.
- Changes to 2007 Cleanup Plan (PDF) (3 pp, 1.7MB) - March 2014
- Soil Testing Gathers Information for St. Maries Cleanup (PDF) (2 pp, 1.7MB) - October 2011
- Comments Due By Dec.17 on Proposed Consent Decree for St. Maries Creosote Site Cleanup (PDF) (2 pp, 655K)
- EPA Issues Cleanup Decision (PDF) (4 pp, 178K)
- EPA Requests Public Comment on Revised Cleanup Plan (PDF) (6 pp, 228K) - November 2006
- EPA Encourages Public Comment on Proposed Cleanup Plan (PDF) (4 pp, 499K) - July 2005
- Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (9 pp, 112K) - August 2002
- Community Interviews: EPA Would Like to Hear From You (PDF) (4 pp, 28K) - May 2002
- City and Carney Products to Take Lead on Site Investigation (PDF) (6 pp, 37K) - September 2001
- St. Maries Creosote Site Proposed to NPL (PDF) (2 pp, 22K) - December 2000