SIP - ALASKA - 18 AAC 52.405
18 AAC 52.405. CERTIFIED MECHANIC EXAMINATIONS
(a) Only an examination certified under this section may be used for purposes of certifying mechanics under 18 AAC 52.400. To be certified under this section, the examination must consist of
(1) a comprehensive mechanic competency test described in (b) of this section;
(2) a written test with a test time of approximately one hour, with the test to cover applicable regulations, the written test may be given to a mechanic only after the mechanic has attended a lecture and a question and answer period of up to eight hours; the written test must cover all requirements of this chapter, with emphasis on certification of mechanics and stations, tailpipe emissions standards, waiver procedures, quality control, program administration, and enforcement; and
(b) Approximately three hours must be allowed to complete the competency test required by (a)(1) of this section, with approximately the first half-hour for orientation and instructions. At least two and one-half hours must be scheduled for the written competency examination. The competency examination must cover
(3) a hands-on proficiency test of approximately 30 minutes duration.
(1) basic internal combustion gasoline engine operation;
(2) fuel systems and emissions control devices; and
State effective: 1/1/98; EPA effective: 2/28/00
(3) engine diagnosis and test equipment operation.