SIP - ALASKA - 18 AAC 52.055
18 AAC 52.055. ALTERNATIVE REQUIREMENTS, STANDARDS, AND TEST PROCEDURES.
(a) The department will, in its discretion, approve alternative requirements, standards, and test procedures to those specified in this chapter.
(b) Subject to department approval, instead of the standards set in 18 AAC 52.050, an implementing agency may establish alternative
(1) tailpipe emissions standards, including mass emissions standards;
(2) steady-state or transient loaded mode test procedures for all or a portion of the vehicles subject to the I/M program; and
(3) procedures to certify compliance of vehicles with replacement engines and of other noncomplying vehicles, if those procedures include emissions standards for those vehicles while they are operated in a loaded mode.
(c) At least one year before establishing an alternative standard or procedure under this section, an implementing agency shall provide to the department proof that
(1) control of vehicle emissions under the alternative standard or procedure will meet or exceed the level of emissions control required by this chapter; and
(2) the alternative standard or procedure will not result in failure of more than two percent of properly constructed and maintained vehicles in any category of vehicles subject to this chapter to meet the alternative standard or procedure.
(d) Repealed 1/1/2000.
State effective :1/01/00 ; EPA effective: 3/11/02