Site Type: Short Term/Removal (SHORT)
BRISTOL FRANKLIN STREET PCBS
| Street Address: || 50 - 100 Franklin Street |
| Zip Code: || 06010 |
| Congressional |
| EPA ID #: || CTN000103182 |
| Site ID #: || 0103182|
| Site Alias: || GAVLICK MACHINERY |
The Bristol Franklin Street PCBs site is located at approximately 41E40' 56" North, 72E57' 8" West in Bristol, Hartford County, Connecticut. The site is comprised of three parcels defined as Lot 1, Lot 1A, and Lot 9A on the Town of Bristol’s Tax Assessor Maps 19 and 22. Lot 1, which is the largest parcel, has the address of 51 Franklin Street and is defined in Deed Volume 842, Page 862 at the Town of Bristol Clerk’s Office. Encompassed within Lot 1 is Lot 1A which has the address of 50 Franklin Street and is defined in Deed Volume 855, Page 960. Adjacent to the north of Lot 1 is Lot 9A with an address on Terryville Avenue and defined in Deed Volume 618, Page 796.
The site consists of several buildings which were formerly associated with the General Motors Ball Bearing Plant where ball bearings were manufactured from 1912 to the 1960's. The buildings were later used by various tenants to store heavy machinery and factory equipment. Presently, Lots 1 and 9A are owned and operated by Gavlick Realty Company while Lot 1A is owned by R.G. International Group (R.G.). Wire & Plastic Machinery Corporation and Gavlick Machinery Corporation both occupy Building 86 on the land owned by R.G. The building is used for storage and no products or wastes are being generated. A large portion of Lot 1 appears to be used for storage of miscellaneous machinery and factory equipment, most of which is in varied states of disrepair. An active Boston and Maine Railroad right-of-way traverses through the northern portion of the Site. North of the right-of-way is Lot 9A which is bordered to the north and east by undeveloped property owned by the town of Bristol, and to the west by Matthews Park, a small residential community. South of the right-of-way is the larger portion of the site which is comprised of Lots 1 and 1A. This area is bordered to the north by the right-of-way (a railroad spur enters the northeast side of Lot 1A) and to the south by North Creek, opposite of which numerous residential properties and the Town of Bristol’s Clarence E. Bingham School are located. Lot 1 is bordered to the west by property owned and operated by Wire and Plastic Machinery Corporation and to the east by another commercial property. Lot 1A is encompassed within Lot 1. Lot 9A is the location of a tank farm. The tank farm presently consists of two ~20,000-gallon horizontal aboveground storage tanks (ASTs) and three ~200,000-gallon vertical ASTs. Several concrete AST supports remain, indicating that numerous ASTs have been removed from the tank farm. Two large oil spills (No. 6 fuel oil and diesel) have been documented by the CTDEP to have occurred in 1973 and 1980. A tunnel runs beneath the railroad right-of-way connecting Lot 9A to Lot 1. This tunnel contains several pipe chases traveling between the tank farm and a one-story boiler building located just north of Lot 1A. The piping was historically used to carry No. 6 fuel oil from the tank farm to the boiler building but is no longer in use. CTDEP records indicate that three underground storage tanks (USTs) of unknown contents, age, and integrity are located near the northeast side of Building 86 on Lot 1A. Three additional USTs containing gasoline, fuel oil, and waste oil are reported to have existed in this location, but were removed in 1989.
An open area in the eastern portion of the Lot 1 is separated from the Lot 1A property by a chain-link fence. This portion of the Site appears to be the former location of a parking lot or equipment staging area. The area consists of deteriorated asphalt pavement and is overgrown with vegetation. North Creek (the stream) flows east along the southern border of the Site. An outfall pipe from a stormwater conduit, which originates on Lot 1A, discharges into the stream. Numerous residential properties and Clarence E. Bingham School are located along the stream, downstream of the outfall pipe.
During a 1986 site investigation conducted for R.G., six underground storage tanks (USTs) of undetermined age, construction, and integrity were discovered near Building 86, along with significant hydrocarbon contamination in the soil surrounding the tanks. The investigation also noted low levels of PCBs in the soil of the oil-saturated slope by the northeast corner of Building 86. Three of the USTs, which reportedly contained waste oil, fuel oil, and gasoline, were removed in 1989. Extensive free product and soil contamination were observed in the tank graves at the time of removal. No remedial actions were reported to have occurred.
In January 2002, residents along James Street, which runs south perpendicular to the site, reported petroleum-like odors emanating from their basements. CTDEP collected a sample of a suspected petroleum product from a sanitary sewer conduit adjacent to Building 86 on Lot 1A. The impacted sewer line travels south across North Creek and then along James Street. A sample of suspected petroleum product was also collected from a stormwater conduit which originates on the Site and discharges directly into North Creek. Fingerprint analysis indicated the presence of motor oil/cutting oil in the sewer line, stormwater conduit, and in several test-pits dug along the stream bank. Beginning in March 2002, CTDEP conducted a subsurface investigation at the site. The investigation included limited surface soil sampling, soil borings, and the installation of temporary micro-wells. Sample analysis of soil cores indicated significant oil-saturated soil contamination, as well as the presence of metal shavings, ball bearings, and other associated solid waste items. A large area of oil-saturated soil was determined to be concentrated around an UST grave near Building 86 on Lot 1A. The subsurface investigation concluded that a large motor oil/cutting oil plume originates from a subsurface pool of oil adjacent to Building 86, migrated downgradient across Lot 1, and impacted North Creek. Surface soil, soil core, and oil analyses indicated the presence of PCBs on Lot 1A. Additional sampling determined that the PCB contamination had migrated downgradient via the oil to reach the stormwater conduit that discharges into North Creek. In June, 2002, CTDEP constructed a concrete retaining wall in the stream to form a containment area around the outfall to prevent further migration of PCB-contaminated oil.
In an Action Memorandum dated September 27, 2002, EPA determined that a short-term cleanup (removal action) was necessary to eliminate threats posed by polychlorinated biphenyl-contaminated oil that is discharging into a stream and friable asbestos-containing pipe insulation associated with an aboveground tank farm.
The September 27, 2002 Action Memorandum outlined a Removal Action to include mitigate the discharge of PCB-contaminated oil to North Creek and ultimately remove the continued threat of the discharge. To accomplish the removal of the threat of discharge, the source of the oil has to be fully delineated and removed. CTDEP has identified the source as a large, subsurface pool of motor oil/cutting oil on Lot 1A. Three options for source removal are believed to be both time and cost effective. The options are an oil recovery system installed on Lot 1A, excavation of the oil-saturated soil on Lots 1 and 1A, or a combination of oil recovery and excavation. The removal option, as well as the clean-up standard, will be determined after the extent of the source contamination is adequately delineated by EPA. The removal of the source of the PCB-contaminated oil should eliminate the release of PCBs to the environment. The area to be covered will be prepared by clearing trees, shrubs, and other debris such as machinery and scrap metal. Activities during the removal will include sampling and analysis of surface and subsurface soils to determine the extent of PCB contamination. PCB-contaminated oil and PCB-contaminated soil will be recovered/excavated, staged, transported, and disposed of at an EPA-approved offsite disposal facility. Site restoration will be limited to backfilling excavations to achieve the original grade. Asbestos-containing materials will be collected, packaged, and disposed of at an EPA-approved, offsite disposal facility. Structural hazards will be mitigated as necessary to protect personnel removing asbestos. A Professional Engineer in the State of Connecticut will be consulted in the matter of structural safety of the tunnel before any removal activities are performed within it.
In March 2003, EPA and General Motors Corporation signed a consent agreement for GM to begin cleaning up the site. Under the consent agreement, GM will clean up PCB-contaminated oil and soil at the site, as well as remove friable asbestos from the tank farm and tunnel. Beginning in March 2003, GM will take over oil containment activities in North Creek from CT DEP.
Links to Other Information
Public Record Locations
OSRR Records and Information Center, 1st Floor, 5 Post Office Square, Suite 100 (HSC), Boston, MA 02109-3912 (617) 918-1440
| Address: || USEPA, One Congress Street, Suite 1100 (HBR)|
Boston, MA 02114-2023
| Phone #:||617-918-1456 |
| E-Mail Address:||email@example.com |
|EPA Community Involvement Coordinator|
| Address:||USEPA, One Congress Street, Suite 1100|
Boston, MA 02114-2023
| Phone #:||617-918-1064 |
| E-Mail Address:||firstname.lastname@example.org |