News Releases - International
U.S. - Supported International Greenhouse Gas Reduction Initiative Continues Success
Release Date: 10/02/2007
Contact Information: Dave Ryan, (202) 564-4355 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(10/2/07) An EPA report released today shows that the United States continues to provide significant support of the Methane to Markets Partnership to reduce emissions of methane, a greenhouse gas over 20 times more potent than carbon dioxide. Current U.S. Methane to Markets projects, when fully implemented, will deliver estimated annual emission reductions equivalent to more than nine million metric tons of carbon dioxide. This is nearly double the reduction estimate EPA made in 2005.
The report released today, "U.S. Government Accomplishments in Support of the Methane to Markets Partnership - September 2007," highlights U.S. accomplishments through 2006.
Additional highlights from the report include:
- More than 600 private-sector and non-governmental organizations internationally have signed on to participate in project development activities. This is an increase of more than 250 organizations in the past year.
- In fiscal year 2006, the U.S. Government dedicated $12.9 million to Methane to Markets, bringing the total U.S. financial commitment to the partnership to more than $18 million since it started.
- U.S. funding for partnership activities has leveraged public and private sector investment totaling over $261 million.
- U.S. commitment to the partnership has continued to assist the rapid growth of the program, including the entry of two additional countries and the European Commission, bringing the total number of partners to 21.
- Oct. 30 - Nov. 1 in Beijing, the U.S. will co-host with China's National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) and other Chinese ministries and corporations the Methane to Markets Partnership Expo: A Forum for Projects, Technology, Financing and Policy.
The United States and 13 other countries launched the Methane to Markets Partnership in 2004. To view the "U.S. Government Accomplishments in Support of the Methane to Markets Partnership - September 2007" report, see: epa.gov/methanetomarkets/accompreport.htm