News Releases issued by the Office of the Administrator
EPA to Participate in USA Science and Engineering Festival / Encouraging the interest of our nation’s youth in science, technology, engineering and math
Release Date: 10/22/2010
Contact Information: Latisha Petteway, email@example.com, 202-564-3191, 202-564-4355
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will take part in the first national USA Science & Engineering Festival. The festival month-long celebrations will culminate in a two-day festival expo on October 23 to 24, located on the National Mall, in Washington, D.C. The expo will feature about 1500 interactive stations from more than 850 of the countries top science and engineering organizations. EPA will focus on themes of clean air, clean and safe water, safer products for a safer world and sustainable communities. Each station will have a hands-on demonstration or module that will illustrate research EPA scientists and engineers are conducting across the country, and what that research means for the public.
Some examples of activities available at the EPA booth will include:
· Lung capacity challenge--learn how air quality impacts every breath we take;
· Drinking water filtration, demonstrating the engineering principles behind safe drinking water;
· Chemical reactions and discovering the potential issues of chemical mixtures;
· Exploring stormwater runoff and the importance of engineering in creating sustainable
· Green chemistry experiment--visitors can design their own eco-friendly, light-sensitive films
using thymine (the DNA nucleotide), ultraviolet (UV) light and food dye;
· Meet the scientist/engineer where scientists discuss their interest in the sciences, and how
they translate that knowledge to EPA’s mission.
For information on the festival, contact Aimee Stern, festival communications director, 202-744-5004, firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHO: U.S. EPA, 850 science and engineering organizations, 300 K-12 schools and 1500 exhibitors
WHAT: USA Science and Engineering Festival Expo
WHEN: Saturday, October 23 and Sunday, October 24, 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. both days
WHERE: Washington D.C., on the National Mall between 1st and 7th Streets, S.W.; 4th Street between Madison and Jefferson
More information on the festival: http://www.epa.gov/research/sciencefestival/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/EPAresearch