EPA to Hold Public Meeting Concerning CTS Site in Ashville, NC
Release Date: 04/7/2011
Contact Information: James Pinkney, 404-562-9183, firstname.lastname@example.org
(ATLANTA – April 7, 2011) On Thursday, April 14, 2011, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will hold a public meeting to discuss community resources regarding the CTS site in Asheville, NC.
The meeting will be held at the Skyland Fire Department located at 9 Miller Road in Asheville from 6:30pm to 8:00pm. EPA representatives will give brief presentations regarding Technical Assistance Grants and Community Advisory Groups, provide a status of removal and remedial activities, and listen to the community's concerns.
The CTS of Asheville, Inc. site is located in south Asheville, near the Skyland Community. Operations occurred at the CTS site from the early 1950’s until 1986. CTS Corporation manufactured electronic components at the facility from 1959 to 1985. The chemical compound TCE was used by CTS to clean and/or degrease metal objects prior to electroplating. In 1987, the original 57-acre property was sold to Mills Gap Road Associates (MGRA) who developed a residential neighborhood on approximately 48 acres, leaving a fenced 9-acre site where the manufacturing had occurred.
MGRA owns the approximately 9 acre former facility, but MGRA no longer owns the 48 acres that have been subsequently developed. MGRA sold this parcel to Richard Green of The Biltmore Group, LLC on August 22, 1997. It was this group that developed the property and sold the finished lots to residents.
For more information visit the CTS of Asheville, Inc. web site at: