News Releases By Date
EPA Awards Rebates to 30 States to Replace 210 School Buses
Release Date: 02/10/2015
WASHINGTON –The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is announcing the award of more than $3 million in rebates to replace 210 older diesel school buses with new buses that are more than 90 percent cleaner, reducing pollutants such as nitrogen oxides and particulate matter that are linked to health problems including asthma and lung damage. Seventy-six school bus fleets in 30 states will receive rebates through EPA’s Diesel Emissions Reduction Act (DERA) funding to replace school buses.
“Americans put their children on school buses for a safe ride to school. They shouldn’t have to worry about harmful pollutants emitted from these buses,” said Janet McCabe, acting assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Air and Radiation. “This funding will help keep our children safe and improve the health of those in communities across the country.”
Since 2008, the DERA program has funded over 600 clean diesel projects across the country. These projects have reduced emissions for more than 60,000 engines.
EPA has implemented standards to make diesel engines more than 90 percent cleaner, but many older diesel school buses remain in operation and predate these standards. Older diesel engines emit large amounts of pollutants such as nitrogen oxides and particulate matter. These pollutants are linked to health problems, including aggravated asthma, lung damage, and other serious health problems.
Applicants were randomly selected and placed in order on a list until a total of $3 million was allocated. This was EPA’s second round of the rebate program aimed at replacing older diesel school buses. Public and private school bus fleets were eligible to apply for rebates for the replacement of school buses with engine model years of 2006 or older.
In conjunction with “Love the Bus” month, which is dedicated to showing appreciation for school buses and their drivers, EPA’s Office of Transportation and Air Quality Director Christopher Grundler joined the American School Bus Council (ASBC) at Tuckahoe Elementary School District in Arlington, Va., today to discuss the environmental benefits provided by new, clean diesel school buses. Tuckahoe Elementary School is part of Arlington Public Schools, a recipient of a 2014 School Bus Replacement Funding Opportunity Rebate. The ASBC estimates that each school bus takes approximately 36 cars off the road each day, which reduces emissions and saves fuel costs for passenger cars.
The 2014 School Bus Replacement Rebate Program Recipients are:
- · Winston County Schools, Ala.
· Cullman County Board of Education, Ala.
· Brookland School District, Ark.
· Town Ride, Inc., Calif.
· Culver City Unified School District, Calif.
· Enterprise Elementary School District, Calif.
· Clovis Unified School District, Calif.
· Southern Humboldt Unified School District, Calif.
· Montville Public Schools, Conn.
· Martel Transportation, Conn.
· Killingly Public Schools, Conn
· Odebolt Arthur Community School, Iowa
· Waverly-Shell Roc Community Schools, Iowa
· North Linn Community School District, Iowa
· Starmont Community School District, Iowa
· Cherokee Community School District, Iowa
· West Delaware County Community School District, Iowa
· Columbus Community School District, Iowa
· Marengo / Union CSD 165, Ill.
· Fairfield Community Schools, Ind.
· Hamilton Heights School Corporation, Ind.
· Neodesha Schools USD 461, Kan.
· Unified School District 261 Haysville, Kan.
· Uniontown USD 235, Kan.
· Unified School District 112, Kan.
· USD 337, Royal Valley Schools, Kan.
· Haven Unified School District 312, Kan.
· Fleming Board of Education, Ky.
· Bell County Board of Education, Ky.
· Ouachita Parish School Board, La.
· Lincoln Parish School Board, La.
· Reed City Area Public Schools, Mich.
· Cozad Transportation LLC, Mo.
· Van Buren R-I School District, Mo.
· Liberty Public Schools #53, Mo.
· Orchard Farm R-V School District, Mo.
· Windsor C-1 School District, Mo.
· North St. Francois County R-I School District, Mo.
· Clever R-V School District, Mo.
· Sullivan School District, Mo.
· Winston R-VI School District, Mo.
· Salisbury R-IV School District, Mo.
· Richton School District, Miss.
· Unified District #1, Neb
· Chase County Schools, Neb.
· Mead Public Schools (Saunders County District 78-0072), Neb.
· High Plains Community Schools, Neb.
· Wahoo Public Schools, Neb.
· GRS Cooperative School District, N.H.
· Secaucus Board of Education, N.J.
· Washoe County School District, Nev.
· Northern Adirondack CSD, N.Y.
· Rolling V Bus Corp, N.Y.
· East Muskingum Schools, Ohio
· Tuslaw Local School District, Ohio
· Fremont City Schools, Ohio
· North Canton City School District, Ohio
· Latta Public School, Okla.
· Beggs Public Schools, Okla.
· Lone Star Public School, Okla.
· Wes Watkins Technology Center, Okla.
· Springfield School District No. 19, Ore.
· Reynolds School District #7, Ore.
· RJ Rhodes Transit, Pa.
· South Carolina Department of Education (Allendale), S.C.
· Armour School District 21-1, S.D.
· Isna Wica Owayawa / Loneman School, S.D.
· Spring Branch Independent School District, Texas
· Aldine Independent School District, Texas
· Canyons School District, Utah
· Arlington Public Schools, Va.
· Barre Town School District, Vt.
· Puyallup School District No. 3, Wash.
· Ithaca School District, Wis.
· School District of Shell Lake, Wis.
· Transportation Services of Watertown, Inc., Wis.
For more information about this rebate program, visit: http://epa.gov/cleandiesel/dera-rebate-schoolbus.htm#2014