You are here:
Stratospheric Ozone Depletion, Skin Damage Risks, and Protective Action
This report uses a field study of beliefs about skin cancer to provide new evidence on how people view risky situations that may be related to stratospheric ozone depletion. Four contributions are envisioned. First data are collected that measure risk beliefs held at the time the data were collected. Second, results presented yield insights into how risk beliefs are formed. Third, reservation prices for sunscreen product are used to estimate willingness to pay for reduced skin cancer risk. Fourth, the extent of offsetting behavior is investigated as it relates to protective actions that people may take.
The Adobe Acrobat file which can be downloaded below includes all of the report except for Appendix C, "Data Collection Instrument." No electronic copy of Appendix C is available. The only way to obtain Appendix C is to order a photocopy of the full report.
An earlier version, dated October, 1989, also exists in hard copy form; a copy can be obtained from the NCEE Librarian. It is believed to represent the original report; the later version linked below, may be a reconstruction of the report at a later date.
1. Benefits Analysis
1. Benefits Analysis - Valuation
1. Benefits Analysis - Valuation - Stated Preference
1. Benefits Analysis - Valuation - Stated Preference - Contingent Valuation
1. Benefits Analysis - Valuation - Revealed Preference
1. Benefits Analysis - Valuation - Revealed Preference - Consumption Choices
1. Benefits Analysis - Valuation - Cost of Damages Avoided
1. Benefits Analysis - Valuation - Cost of Damages Avoided - MorbidityEnvironmental Media:
a. Air - StratosphericAuthors:
Gerking, Shelby D.EPA Project Officer/ Manager:
Carlin, AlanGeographic Area: California, Laramie (WY), San Diego, WyomingStudy Purpose: Empirical Application, Data Development
- Participating Organizations
Wyoming, University of, Department of Economics and Finance Address:
City: State: ZIP:
Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Policy Address:
City: State: ZIP:
- Report Details
FinalDate: 01/01/1999Number of Pages: 120Grant/Contract #: CR914647-01
- How to Obtain Report