Getting a Hazardous Waste (RCRA) ID Number & Notification Forms for AK, ID, OR and WA | Region 10 | US EPA

Jump to main content.

Getting a Hazardous Waste (RCRA) ID Number & Notification Forms for AK, ID, OR and WA

The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) requires individuals who generate or transport hazardous waste, or who operate a facility for recycling, treating, storing, or disposing (TSD) of hazardous waste, to notify EPA or their authorized State waste management agency of their regulated waste activities and obtain a RCRA Identification (ID) Number. If you are regulated and do not comply with the RCRA notification requirements, you may be subject to civil and criminal penalties.

A RCRA ID number is site-specific and permanent; it does not move with the current owner/operator should they relocate. It is used by EPA to track hazardous wastes from the point of generation to the final disposal site, also known as the "cradle-to-grave" cycle. Once a RCRA ID number is assigned to a specific physical location, it belongs solely to that location and will belong to any owners/operators at that location. When a business, located at a site where a RCRA ID number exists, moves to another location (even within the same State or town) the ID number must be deactivated at the former location and a new ID number requested at the new location. A new form is required when relocating or requesting a new RCRA ID number. If at the new location, a RCRA hazardous waste ID number had previously been issued to the former owner/operator, the number for that physical location will then be assigned to the new requester. If a number had never been issued for that physical location, a new number will be issued to the new requester.

To determine if your location already has been assigned a RCRA Hazardous Waste ID number, look in EPA's Envirofacts Warehouse database by the physical location first (be sure to put in the State you want to search within).

Questions related to hazardous waste laws and policies can be directed to the National RCRA Hotline at (800) 424-9346. To obtain a RCRA ID number, you may write, call or email the following individuals and ask for the form (with instructions) indicated below.

Alaska: Use EPA Standard Form 8700-12
Send/fax the completed form to:

Ian Ainoa (AWT-150)
U.S. EPA Region 10
1200 Sixth Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
Telephone: (206) 553-0311
Fax: (206) 553-8509


Idaho: Use EPA Standard Form 8700-12
send/fax the completed form to:

Rene Anderson
Idaho Department of Environmental Quality
State Waste Management & Remediation Program Office
1410 N. Hilton
Boise, ID 83706-1255
Telephone: (208) 373-0210
Fax: (208) 373-0417

Oregon: Notification of Hazardous Waste Activity Form
send/fax the completed form to:

Oregon Department of Environmental Quality
Attn: Hazardous Waste Forms Clerk
811 SW Sixth Avenue

Portland, OR 97204
Telephone: (503) 229-6968
Fax: (503) 229-6977

OR HW Information Line: (800) 452-4011 (Calls from within Oregon only)

Washington: Form 2 - Notification of Dangerous Waste Activity and Instructions
Send/fax the completed form to:

Iris Aguilera, D.W. Notifications

Washington Department of Ecology
Information Mgmt. & Planning Section
P.O. Box 47658
Olympia, WA 98504-7658
Telephone: (360) 407-6734
Fax: (360) 407-6715

Please contact the individual listed above, depending upon which State the regulated facility is located in. The contact person listed above can also answer questions regarding changes to an existing hazardous waste ID number. After your application is processed, you will be sent an official acknowledgement which includes your RCRA ID number.

Local Navigation


Jump to main content.