|Second Five-Year Review in Progress|
The second Five-Year Review of the Taylor Lumber and Treating Site will be completed in May 2017. The first Five-Year Review was completed in 2012 (see "Technical Documents" below).
In 2008, we completed the final cleanup of this site, including:
In 2009-2010, we completed a long-term operation and maintenance plan and a groundwater monitoring plan.
- Excavating contaminated soils from five acres of the site;
- Cleaning and restoring adjacent roadside ditches and ditches flowing to the South Yamhill River;
- Replacing an existing asphalt cap in the wood-treating area with a new low permeability asphalt cap;
- Disposing of stockpiled soil storage cells off-site; and
- Upgrading the storm water conveyance systems.
In 2011, we implemented institutional controls to restrict groundwater use and non-industrial land use at the site and began annual groundwater monitoring and sampling. The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality is now overseeing the long-term groundwater monitoring and sampling at this site. Annual groundwater monitoring reports are provided under "Technical Documents" below.
Taylor Lumber and Treating operated a wood-treating plant at 22125 SW Rock Creek Road in Sheridan, Oregon. For over thirty years, toxic and cancer-causing chemicals, such as creosote and pentachlorophenol (PCP), were used to preserve wood. Many wood-treating chemical spills contaminated soil and groundwater at the site.
The property is now owned and operated by McFarland Cascade Holdings (Stella-Jones Corporation) who manufactures treated wood utility poles and railway ties. McFarland Cascade has ongoing obligations related to property use restrictions, and operations and maintenance on the property.
- Annual Groundwater Monitoring Report - May 2015 (PDF) (25 pp, 1.6MB)
- Annual Groundwater Monitoring Report - May 2014 (PDF) (456 pp, 13MB)
- Oregon DEQ long-term groundwater monitoring and other site information
- Five-Year Review Report (PDF) (156 pp, 11MB) - May 2012
- Final Storm Water Treatment System Operation and Maintenance Plan: Pacific Wood Preserving of Oregon (PDF) (114 pp, 6.3MB) For Appendices F-N, please contact the EPA Region 10 Superfund Records Center at 206-553-4494.
- Revised Annual Groundwater Monitoring Report - 2011 (PDF) (147 pp, 7MB)
- Long-term Groundwater Monitoring Reporting Plan (PDF) (47 pp, 1.3MB) - March 2010
- Operation and Maintenance Plan (PDF) (496 pp, 16MB) - October 2009
- Final Construction Report (PDF) (97 pp, 3.6MB) - March 2009
- Final Design and Design Basis Report (PDF) (182 pp, 8MB) - December 2006
Record of Decision - September 30, 2005
- Notice of Transfer of Property to Stella-Jones/McFarland Cascade Holdings (PDF) (4 pp, 232K) - October 2013
- Amendment to Agreement and Covenant Not to Sue, Pacific Wood Preserving of Oregon (PDF) (52 pp, 800K) - Effective May 26, 2011 *Note- File contains Exhibit 2A-Site Vicinity Map, Exhibit 3A-Statement of Work, Exhibit 4-Draft Easement and Equitable Servitude*
- Notice of Effective Date (PDF) (1 pp, 200K) - May 2011
- Federal Register Notice for Public Comment (PDF) (2 pp, 186K) - May 2011
- Public Comments Received (PDF) (135 pp, 9.5MB) - May 2011
- EPA Response to Public Comments (PDF) (4 pp, 106K) - May 2011
|You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more. |