Ketchikan Pulp Company
For questions about this site, please call EPA’s main number at 206-553-1200 or 800-424-4372 and ask the operator to connect you with the Unit Manager for Site Cleanup Unit 1.
You may also contact the State's project manager, Evonne Reese (firstname.lastname@example.org), Alaska Dept. of Environmental Conservation, 907-465-5229.
Where you can find documents
Some site documents are available online below. Other site documents are available at:
- Ketchikan Public Library
1110 Copper Ridge Lane
Ketchikan, AK 99901
- Juneau ADEC Office
410 Willoughby Avenue, Suite 303
Juneau, AK 99811
- Region 10 Superfund Records Center
1200 Sixth Avenue, Suite 900
Seattle, WA 98101
206-553-4494 (please call for an appointment)
Uplands Operable Unit Documents
The Ketchikan Pulp Company (KPC) site is located on the shoreline of Ward Cove, near Ketchikan, Alaska. KPC formerly operated a pulp mill on the upland area and discharged to Ward Cove. Contaminants in the upland area included lead, PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls), arsenic, and petroleum compounds. Contaminated soils were removed and EPA placed long-term controls on the property to restrict uses at the property to industrial uses.
In the bottom sediments in Ward Cove, the contaminants are ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, and 4-methylphenol. EPA dredged about three acres of sediments in Ward Cove, capped about 27 acres with a thin layer of clean material, and left another 50 acres of contaminated sediments to recover naturally.
The upland and marine sediment cleanups were completed between 1998 and 2001. All remedies at the site are protective of human health and the environment.
Five-year reviews are conducted to ensure that remedial actions continue to be protective of human health and the environment.
Marine Operable Unit (Ward Cove) Documents
- Remedial Action Report: Sediment Remediation in Ward Cove (PDF) (30 pp, 1MB) - September 2009
- Fact Sheet: Ward Cove Sediment Cleanup - Monitoring Complete (PDF) (2 pp, 87K) - May 2009
- 2007 Sediment Remediation Monitoring Report (PDF) (226 pp, 29MB) - April 2009
- Residue and Dissolved Oxygen TMDL (PDF) (224 pp, 5.7MB) - May 2007
- 2005 Monitoring Report for Sediment Remediation (PDF) (108 pp, 2.10MB) - June 2005
- Environmental Easement and Declaration of Covenants (PDF) (18 pp, 1MB) - July 2004
- Addendum to Long-Term Monitoring and Reporting Plan for Sediment Remediation in Ward Cove (PDF) (4 pp, 240K) - January 2002
- Long-Term Monitoring and Reporting Plan for Sediment Remediation in Ward Cove (PDF) (194 pp, 2MB) - September 2001
- Final Construction Report (PDF) (594 pp, 786MB) - July 2001
- Fact Sheet: Ward Cove Sediment Cleanup Complete (PDF) (2 pp, 2.57MB) - March 2001
- Performance Standard Verification Plan (PDF) (42 pp, 4.4MB) - September 2000
- Design Analysis Report (PDF) (368 pp, 17MB) - September 2000
- Marine Operable Unit Record of Decision Signiture Page (PDF) (1 pg, 170K) - March 2000
- Marine Operable Unit Record of Decision (PDF) (130 pp, 2.5MB) - March 2000
- Bathymetry Arcview Shapefile Data (PDF) (1 pg, 6.5 MB) - October 1999
- Summary of Proposed Plan for Marine Operable Unit (PDF) (2 pp, 17K)- July 1999
- Proposed Plan for Marine Operable Unit (PDF) (23 pp, 155K) - July 1999
- Detailed Technical Studies Report: Ward Cove Sediment Remediation Project, Volume I RI/FS (PDF) (560 pp, 202MB) - May 1999
- Detailed Technical Studies Report: Ward Cove Sediment Remediation Project, Volume II Appendices (PDF) (522 pp, 61MB) - May 1999
- Ward Cove Sediment remediation Project, Technical Studies, Field Sampling Plan for the Phase 2 Investigations (PDF) (249 pp, 45MB) - June 1997
- Biochemical Oxygen Demand TMDL (PDF) (7 pp, 35K) - January 1994