H&M Oil Site
The H & M Oil, Inc., Triangle site is an oil storage facility located in Pocatello, Idaho. The site is located at the intersection of three streets; West Maple, First, and Madison Streets that come together to form a triangle (Latitude 42' 52.49, Longitude 112' 27.59). The facility is composed of three vertical above ground storage tanks (ASTs), drums, and a portable storage container. The ASTs contain waste oil, water, & sludge. The capacity of the ASTs range from 8,000 to 12,000 gallons.
Idaho Department of Environmental Quality referred the site to EPA as a potential major inland spill. In summary:
Read more about it in the Initial Pollution Report (April 4, 2001)
Final Pollution Report - May 10
May 2001 - Cleanup to begin
May 10, 2001:
- This site is located 200 yards from Portneuf River. Portneuf River feeds directly into the American Falls Reservoir and is a tributary of the Snake River.
- Drinking water intakes are located approx. 1 mile from Site.
- Site appears to be illegally operated. Owner lives in another state and was unaware of activities at the site.
- ASTs at site are not undergoing routine maintenance and inspection.
- Operations have resulted in spills as evidenced by soil staining.
- Site access is not restricted.
- Secondary containment at the site is inadequate given that there is no paved area directly under the tanks or drums to control a spill.
- Spills go directly into gravel and dirt.
- An opening in the secondary containment wall would allow a major spill to leave the containment area and it is likely that such a spill would enter the Portneuf River.
55 gallon drums
free floating oil
oil sludge stored in container
Community Involvement Coordinator:
Charles Bert (206) 553-0225
H&M Oil above ground storage tanks.
Snow covered contaminated soil in the tank farm secondary containment.
Two of the 10,000 gallon above ground storage tanks.
10,000 gallon tank leaking unsecured value in the secondary containment.
Piled up contaminated soil & unsecured value attached to 10,000 gallon tank.