Site Type: Short Term/Removal (SHORT)
COOPER BROTHERS AMMONIA RELEASE
| Street Address: || 1833 Auburn Road (Route 4) |
| Zip Code: || 04282 |
| Congressional |
| EPA ID #: || MEN000106024 |
| Site ID #: || |
| Site Alias: || |
At the request of MEDEP, OSC Bazenas mobilized on November 15, 2010 to the abandoned Cooper Brothers apple processing facility in Turner, Maine to investigate a refrigeration system that is leaking ammonia. At 1200, OSC Bazenas reported the following from the site:
- EPA, DEP, and EPA's START contractor met on site this morning
- An entry with Level C PPE was performed.
- Air monitoring indicated levels approaching 100ppm in the ammonia refrigeration room (IDLH action level is 300ppm). These levels were present despite windows being left open.
- Air monitoring outside indicated the presence of ammonia, but at low levels
- There are two business approximately 200 yards away and the nearest residence is 200 yards.
- There is a concern that the rate of the leak could increase and there is evidence of trespass and vandalism including copper stripping.
- In light of the unstable situation, ERRS was activated to initiate a time critical emergency removal action to address the leaking ammonia.
Links to Other Information
Public Record Locations
OSRR Records and Information Center, 1st Floor, 5 Post Office Square, Suite 100 (HSC), Boston, MA 02109-3912 (617) 918-1440
| Address: || US Environmental Protection Agency|
5 Post Office Square
Mail Code: OSRR02-2
Boston, MA 02109-3912
| Phone #:||(617) 918-1230 |
| E-Mail Address:||email@example.com |