Site Type: Short Term/Removal (SHORT)
New Frankin Laundry
|No County Named|
| Street Address: || 125 Fern Street |
| Zip Code: || 04401 |
| Congressional |
| EPA ID #: || MED018984831 |
| Site ID #: || 01BF|
| Site Alias: || |
The Site, 125 Fern Street, Bangor (population 35,000), Maine, is located in an urban residential area. It consists of a 36,000 ft.2 property found on Map 53, Lot 153 at the City of Bangor Tax Assessors Office where the dry-cleaning facility is located, and five homes (parcels 101, 142, 150, 147, and 137) that have or had perchloroethylene (PCE) and trichlorethylene (TCE) detected in indoor air samples. These detections have been interpreted to be associated with possible releases from the dry-cleaning facility.
The Site is bordered to the:
• west by Fern Street and private residences,
• east by private residences and Pearl Street, and
• south and north by private residences.
The Site consists of:
• an 8,000 ft.2 two story brick main building connected to a one story wood framed building;
• a two story wood-framed garage;
• a partially paved and stone parking lot;
• one private residence contiguous to the Site that is owned by New Franklin Textile Services, Inc. (the party who the EPA has determined may be legally responsible for the Site’s contamination, referred to as the potentially responsible party (PRP)); and
• four private residences contiguous to the Site that have VOC-contaminated indoor air.
Access to the Site is not restricted, the sprinkler system to the brick main building does not work, and the Site is connected to public water and public sewer utilities.
Links to Other Information
Public Record Locations
OSRR Records and Information Center, 1st Floor, 5 Post Office Square, Suite 100 (HSC), Boston, MA 02109-3912 (617) 918-1440