Site Type: Short Term/Removal (SHORT)
2 COURT STREET
|Nashua,  New Hampshire|
| Street Address: || |
| Zip Code: || 03060 |
| Congressional |
| EPA ID #: || NHN000105723 |
| Site ID #: || O1EC|
| Site Alias: || |
In the summer of 2006, the City of Nashua (the City), in coordination with New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (NHDES), requested that EPA Region 1 Emergency Planning & Response Branch evaluate seven city-owned properties to determine whether surface soils contained asbestos that posed a public health threat. On 25 July 2006, OSC Wainberg met with city officials and NHDES representative Mark Ledgard to conduct a preliminary assessment (PA) of the seven properties. During the week of 2 October 2006, the OSC and EPA contractors completed a Removal Program Preliminary Assessment/Site Investigation (PA/SI), which included collecting soil samples at the properties of concern. Of the seven properties, OSC Wainberg recommended a time-critical removal action at the 2 Court Street property, which contains the city-operated Public Library, in a Closure Memorandum dated August 3, 2007.
The Site is located in a high density urban area abutting the Nashua River. The area of concern at this property is a grassy area used by area residents as a walk-through down to the river and for recreational activities. According to 2000 census data, Nashua has an approximate population of 86,605.
Location details are:
• 2 Court Street, Nashua, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, 03060; and
• North 42.7629° latitude, west 71.4650° longitude.
The Site is bordered to the:
• North by a steep bank sloping down to the Nashua River;
• East by woods and residential properties;
• West by the Court St. and commercial properties; and
• South by commercial properties
The Site setting and features consist of the following:
• The area of concern is approximately 0.5 acres;
• The property is owned and operated by the City and consists of the library building, a paved public parking lot, and a relatively flat, grassy area north of the parking lot (area of concern);
• The City has installed fencing and signs around the area of concern to prevent access;
• The City purchased the property from the US General Services Administration (GSA) in 1965; and
• It is believed that asbestos-containing material (ACM) was brought to this property at some point as free fill.
On 28 August 2007 an Action Memorandum was approved authorizing a removal action at the 2 Court Street Site to address the public health threat posed by the asbestos in surface soils.
Links to Other Information
Public Record Locations
OSRR Records and Information Center, 1st Floor, 5 Post Office Square, Suite 100 (HSC), Boston, MA 02109-3912 (617) 918-1440
| Address: || 5 Post Office Square - Suite 100|
Mail Code: OSRR02-2
Boston, MA 02109-3912
| Phone #:||(617) 918-1283 |
| E-Mail Address:||email@example.com |