Consumer Confidence Reports | Region 10 | US EPA

Jump to main content.

Consumer Confidence Reports

You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.

Announcement: Starting this year, all community water systems must include new health language about lead.

Community Water Systems are required by the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) to prepare annual Consumer Confidence Reports (CCRs) on the source of their drinking water and the levels of contaminants found, in the drinking water. Consumers must be notified by mail. The report must include:

1. Information on the source of drinking water
2. Brief definitions of terms
3. The Maximum Contaminant Level Goal (MCLG), Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) and the level found
4. Information on health effects
5. Information on the levels of unregulated contaminants.
6. Information on lead in drinking water. For all community water systems required to submit a CCR to EPA by July 1, 2009, the statement below must be included, for the first time starting 2009. This statement is required regardless of lead levels occurring in any sample:

If present, elevated levels of lead can cause serious health problems, especially for pregnant women and young children. Lead in drinking water is primarily from materials and components associated with service lines and home plumbing. {NAME OF WATER UTILITY} is responsible for providing high quality drinking water, but cannot control the variety of materials used in plumbing components. When your water has been sitting for several hours, you can minimize the potential for lead exposure by flushing your tap for 30 seconds to two minutes before using water for drinking or cooking. If you are concerned about lead in your water, you may wish to have your water tested. Information on lead in drinking water, testing methods, and steps you can take to minimize exposure is available from the Safe Drinking Water Hotline or at (from National Primary Drinking Water Regulations Part 141.154, in the section called “Required additional health information” )

Tools for writing a Consumer Confidence Report

For Tribal Water System Operators (only): tribal community system operators are required to fill out a certification form and send to EPA by October 1, 2009

For regulations that pertain to Consumer Confidence Reports

For ALL Drinking Water regulations: If you have questions about definitions, terms or acronyms used on this Webpage visit Drinking Water Glossary

Contact: Wendy Marshall (206) 553-1890

Local Navigation


Jump to main content.