ARRCOM (DREXLER ENTERPRISES)
IDAHO
EPA ID# IDD000800961
EPA Region 10
Kootenai County
Rathdrum

1st Congressional District

Other Names:
Last Update: May, 2010

Hide details for Site DescriptionSite Description

The ARRCOM (Drexler Enterprises) site covers over one acre approximately three miles southwest of Rathdrum, Idaho. From 1960 until the facility was abandoned in 1982, ARRCOM recycled waste oils containing a variety of organic solvents, lead, and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). Activities at the site, such as abandoning storage tanks and trucks and producing hazardous waste materials, resulted in the contamination of soils and sludges. Approximately 6,300 people live within three miles of the site. The residents in the area depend on groundwater for drinking water and field irrigation. The nearest well is located 150 feet away from the site. The Spokane Valley-Rathdrum Prairie Aquifer runs approximately 135 feet underneath the site and is the sole source of water for drinking and crop irrigation for 350,000 people in the region.

Site Responsibility: This site has been addressed through Federal actions.

NPL Listing HistoryDates
Proposed Date:12/30/1982
Removed Date:
Withdrawal Date:
Final Date:09/08/1983
Deleted Date:12/23/1992


Hide details for Threats and ContaminantsThreats and Contaminants

Media Affected: Soil & Sludges
Soils on the site were contaminated with volatile organic compounds (VOCs) including toluene, xylene, and methyl ethyl ketone; heavy metals including lead and mercury; acid; PCBs; and pentachlorophenol (PCP). On-site buildings were contaminated with asbestos.


Hide details for Cleanup ProgressCleanup Progress

Early Actions: In 1983, EPA began removing and treating contaminants at the site. Tanks containing PCB-contaminated products were pumped and flushed. The volume of contents in the remaining tanks was approximately 32,000 gallons. Approximately 10,700 gallons of oil and water mixture were recycled, 1,140 pounds of PCB flushing material were incinerated off-site, and 134 cubic yards of contaminated soil were disposed of in an EPA-approved landfill. In 1987, EPA removed and segregated all of the hazards. A containment tent was constructed for asbestos removal in the boiler room. EPA cleaned, disassembled, and disposed of all tanks and trucks off site. All buildings, vehicles, and approximately 2,000 cubic yards of contaminated soils were removed from the site. In 1990, EPA excavated and disposed off-site approximately 1,500 cubic yards of soil contaminated with lead and PCBs. Confirmation soil sampling was conducted, and the excavated areas were backfilled with clean fill and regraded.

Long-Term Actions: In 1991 and 1992, EPA studied the site to ensure that all site risks had been addressed by the initial cleanup actions. As a result, in mid-1992, EPA determined that no further actions were required at the site.

The site was deleted from the NPL on December 23, 1992.



Hide details for Regional ContactsRegional Contacts

SITE MANAGER(S):Fran Allans
E-MAIL ADDRESS:allans.fran@epa.gov
PHONE NUMBER:208-378-5775
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT COORDINATOR:
E-MAIL ADDRESS
PHONE NUMBER:
Information pertaining to this site is housed at the following location(s):
EPA Region 10 Superfund Records Center (Administrative Record)
1200 Sixth Avenue, ECL-076
Seattle, WA 98101

Rathdrum Branch Library (Administrative Records)
1652 Hwy 41
P.O. Box 7
Rathdrum, ID 83858