The 86,000-acre Fort Lewis Army facility is near Tacoma, Washington on the southeastern shore of Puget Sound. It has been an Army facility since 1917. Operations include maintaining aircraft and vehicles, repairing and refurbishing weapons, and neutralizing caustic paint stripping waste and battery acids. The 650-acre Logistics Center is mainly an industrial facility, with some limited commercial use. Three major contaminated waste units have been identified and are included in the Logistics Center site. Between 1946 and 1960, the East Gate Disposal Yard was used for disposing waste from equipment cleaning and degreasing. From 1974 to 1981, the Department of Energy ran the Solvent Refined Coal Pilot Project area as a production/research facility for developing petroleum-like products from coal. Landfill No. 4 was used for solid waste disposal from the 1940s to the 1960s. The main water supply wells for the base are about one quarter mile from the landfill. An estimated 46,700 people live at the Fort. The closest residence to the site is about two miles away. Another hazardous waste unit at the Fort Lewis Army facility, the Landfill No. 5 site, is listed separately on the National Priorities List (NPL).
|You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more. |