News Releases by Date
New Report Shows Environmental Benefits from Green Computers
Release Date: 07/18/2007
Contact Information: Enesta Jones, (202) 564-4355 / email@example.com
(7/18/07) Numerous environmental benefits of buying high-performance, environmentally friendly computer equipment are highlighted in the first annual report issued by the Green Electronics Council this week. The report, called "The Environmental Benefits of the Purchase or Sale of EPEAT Registered Products in 2006," states that the purchase of more than 36 million EPA approved computer desktops, laptops and monitors has led to a significant reduction in greenhouse gas emissions.
Some highlights from the report show that the computer equipment has helped to:
- Save 13.7 billion kWh of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million U.S. homes for a year;
- Save 24.4 million metric tons of primary materials, equivalent to the weight of 189 million refrigerators;
- Prevent 56.5 million metric tons of air emissions (including greenhouse gas emissions);
- Prevent 1.07 million metric tons of carbon equivalent greenhouse gas emissions, equivalent to removing 852,000 cars from the road for a year;
- Prevent 118,000 metric tons of water pollutant emissions;
- Reduce the amount of toxic materials used by 1,070 metric tons, equivalent to the weight of 534,000 bricks, including enough mercury to fill 157,000 household fever thermometers; and
- Avoid the disposal of 41,100 metric tons of hazardous waste, equivalent to the weight of 20.5 million bricks.
EPEAT (Electronic Products Environmental Assessment Tool) -registered computer products have reduced levels of cadmium, lead, and mercury to better protect human health, and are easier to upgrade and recycle, in addition to meeting the government's Energy Star guidelines for energy efficiency. By buying EPEAT registered products purchasers are significantly contributing to reducing the environmental impacts of their computers.
For more information about EPEAT and the annual report: epa.gov/opptintr/epp/pubs/products/epeat.htm