News Releases issued by the Office of Water
WaterSense Partners of the Year Recognized for Dedication to Water-Efficiency
Release Date: 10/06/2011
Contact Information: Molly Hooven, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-564-2313, 202-564-4355
WASHINGTON - The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has recognized five organizations and one individual as the 2011 WaterSense Partners of the Year. More than 2,200 partners make WaterSense labeled products and new homes more affordable and easy to find, including the six Partners of the Year who have shown outstanding contributions to water-efficiency. WaterSense partners nationwide are manufacturing and selling a range of products, supporting green jobs, and promoting the protection of water resources.
“WaterSense helps marshal the forces of the consumer marketplace and the innovative capacity of the private sector,” said Nancy Stoner, EPA’s Acting Assistant Administrator for Water. “Since 2006, WaterSense and our many partners have helped Americans save 125 billion gallons of water and more than $2 billion in water and energy bills.”
While nearly 75 percent of the Earth’s surface is covered with water, only 1 percent is available for human use. Additionally, the U.S. population has doubled over the past 50 years and withdrawals from public water supplies have tripled. WaterSense partners continue to work towards more efficient water use.
WaterSense recognized partners in each of the following sectors:
- · Promotional Partner: Cobb County Water System – This two-time WaterSense Partner of the Year educates Georgia consumers on water-efficiency through events and presentations, leading to an 80 percent familiarity of WaterSense among area consumers.
· Manufacturer Partner: Delta Faucet Company – A significant portion of the company’s product line has earned the WaterSense label. They have conducted widespread promotional activities and led a coalition of stakeholders in developing a performance test for showerheads.
· Retailer Partner: The Home Depot – The retail chain sells only WaterSense labeled lavatory faucets in its 2,000 locations across the country and calculates that customers saved roughly 27 billion gallons of water and $174 million on water utility bills in 2010.
· Builder Partner: KB Home – This national home-building company unveiled the first WaterSense labeled homes in November 2010 at its Springwood community in Roseville, Calif.
· Licensed Certification Provider for WaterSense Labeled New Homes: Energy Inspectors Corporation – Working closely with WaterSense partner KB Home, the corporation inspected and certified the first WaterSense labeled new homes and recruited additional builder partners.
· Irrigation Partner: Christopher Curry – The sole individual Partner of the Year practices water-efficient irrigation design and helps the San Diego Parks & Recreation Department save 3 million gallons of water per year.
These awards were presented at the WaterSmart Innovations Conference in Las Vegas, Nev., during the annual WaterSense Awards Banquet. In addition to the Partner of the Year awards, WaterSense also recognized Excellence Award winners, which honor additional partners whose WaterSense support stood out in one or more of the evaluation categories.
More information on EPA’s WaterSense partnership program: http://www.epa.gov/watersense/
More information on Partners of the Year and Excellence Award winners: