Contact Us

Newsroom

Verity View

 

Public can learn more about proposed Ruddiman Creek cleanup at June 21 meeting

Release Date: 6/14/2005
Contact Information:

CONTACT: Phillippa Cannon, (312) 353-6218

For Immediate Release
No. 05-OPA092


CHICAGO (June 14, 2005) — The public is invited to attend a meeting to discuss proposed plans to clean up polluted sediment from Ruddiman Creek. The meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Tuesday, June 21, at McGraft Park Community Building, 2204 Wickham, Muskegon, Mich.

Sediment (mud) in Ruddiman Creek and Pond is contaminated with polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), polyaromatic hydrocarbons and metals. EPA and Michigan Department of Environmental Quality have estimated that about 80,000 cubic yards of polluted sediment must be removed. The cleanup would be a partnership between EPA, Michigan DEQ and the Muskegon Lake Public Advisory Council.

The proposed cleanup is a candidate to receive Great Lakes Legacy Act funds from EPA's Great Lakes National Program Office. Congress passed and the president signed the Great Lakes Legacy Act in 2002 to authorize funding for the cleanup of contaminated sediment at 31 toxic "hot spots," known as areas of concern, on the U.S. side of the Great Lakes.

If the cleanup is approved to receive Legacy Act funds, the federal government would pay for 65 percent of the estimated $10.6 million cost and the remaining 35 percent would be provided under the Clean Michigan Initiative.

After presentations about the proposed project, representatives from the Muskegon Lake Public Advisory Council, EPA, Michigan DEQ, city of Muskegon, Muskegon County Health Department and Ruddiman Creek Task Force will be available to answer questions.


# # #