EPA Meeting On Buick City Cleanup Plan June 16, 5 P.M.
Release Date: 06/09/2010
Contact Information: Mick Hans, 312-353-5050, email@example.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(CHICAGO – June 9, 2010) U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 5 will hold a meeting and answer questions about a planned $5 million to $7 million cleanup of historical contamination on the Southend portion of the former General Motors Buick City property in Flint, Mich. The meeting will be held June 16, 5 to 7 p.m., at Mott Community College’s Regional Technology Center Auditorium, 1401 E. Court St.
Most work at the Southend will begin in 2011. Motors Liquidation Corp., the current owner of the site, will pay for the cleanup. EPA and Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Environment will provide oversight throughout the process. A comment period on the cleanup plan ran from Jan. 28 to Feb. 28, with a final decision announced on May 19.
The Southend portion of the 452-acre property includes the area south of Leith Street, bounded to the east by Cole Boulevard and the Flint River and to the south by Harriet Street. Separately, EPA continues to develop a proposed cleanup plan to address the Northend of Buick City. EPA will provide an overview of the Northend pollution situation at the meeting.
For more information, including a fact sheet detailing the Southend cleanup plan, see http://www.epa.gov/reg5rcra/wptdiv/sites/buickcity/index.html. An information repository with site documents has been established at the Flint Main Branch Public Library, 1026 E. Kearsley St.
Residents with questions about the meeting or who need special accommodations may contact EPA Community Involvement Coordinator Rafael Gonzalez during business hours at 800-621-8431, Ext. 60269, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Automotive production at the Buick City property began in the 1890s. The Buick Motor Co. moved to Flint in 1903 and became a division of General Motors when that corporation was formed in 1908. The facility also produced military equipment during World Wars I and II. Manufacturing operations at the Southend portion of the site ceased in 1999.
# # #