News Releases By State
U.S. EPA solicits Environmental Award nominations / Opportunity to recognize environmental champions
Release Date: 01/07/2009
Contact Information: Wendy Chavez, 415/947-4248, email@example.com
(San Francisco, Calif. -- 01/07/08) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is encouraging citizens in California, Arizona, Nevada, Hawaii, and the Pacific Islands to nominate a friend, peer or organization for this year's U.S. EPA Environmental Awards program.
Nominations can be submitted online beginning January 7 and ending February 8.
The program seeks to recognize individuals and groups outside of the U.S. EPA who made significant contributions to improve the environment in the year 2008. Anyone can be nominated, such as scientists, teachers, journalists, community activists, young people, organizations, business representatives, public officials and others committed to protecting public health and preserving our natural surroundings.
Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- · promotion of innovative ideas, techniques, and/or technologies
· ability to address an environmental problem or need
· accomplishment of stated goals
· ability of the program/activity to be replicated or widely shared
· collaboration with others
· clarity and effectiveness of the presentation
· long term benefits for the environment
For more information and to submit a nomination online, visit: http://www.epa.gov/region09/awards For questions regarding the program, please call the Environmental Information Center toll-free at (866) EPA-WEST or Wendy Chavez at (415) 947-4248.