Media Advisory: Great Lakes Restoration Initiative grants for southeast Michigan
Release Date: 09/17/2010
Contact Information: J. Mike Rogers, 312-353-2102, email@example.com
For Immediate Release
Chicago (Sept. 17, 2010) –
Cameron Davis, Senior Advisor to the EPA Administrator.
U.S. Sen. Carl Levin.
Paul Tait, Executive Director, Southeast Michigan Council of Governments.
Ken DeBeaussaert, Director, Office of Great Lakes, Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Environment.
George Kuper, CEO, Council of Great Lakes Industries.
WHAT: Announcement of three of the first federal grants awarded in Michigan under President Obama's Great Lakes Restoration Initiative.
WHEN: Monday, Sept. 20, at 9 a.m.
WHERE: William G. Milliken State Park and Harbor, 1900 Atwater St., Detroit. PLEASE NOTE: Due to construction in the area, Park officials highly recommend taking East Jefferson Avenue to St. Aubin Street, follow St. Aubin to Atwater, turn right on Atwater and park in the lot across from the marina.
(IN CASE OF RAIN: Board Room, Southeast Michigan Council of Governments, 535 Griswold St., Suite 300).
BACKGROUND: President Obama's Great Lakes Restoration Initiative is the largest investment in the Great Lakes in two decades. The initiative calls for aggressive efforts to address five priorities:
- Cleaning up toxics and toxic hot spots around the Great Lakes.
- Combating invasive species.
- Promoting nearshore health by protecting watersheds from polluted runoff.
- Restoring wetlands and other habitats.
- Accountability and working with strategic partners on outreach.
Three grants will be announced at Monday's event:
- Southeast Michigan Council of Governments, $500,000.
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Environment, $1,028,548.
- Wayne State University, $519,564.
For more information, including additional grants in Michigan, please visit http://www.greatlakesrestoration.us