News Releases from Region 1
EPA Extends Public Comment Period on Order at Mass. Military Reservation on Cape Cod
Release Date: 01/31/2001
Contact Information: Amy Miller, EPA Press Office (617-918-1042)
BOSTON - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has granted a seven-day extension to the public comment period for an administrative order issued Jan. 4. That order authorized the National Guard Bureau to use a controlled detonation chamber already located at the Massachusetts Military Reservation for the detonation and disposal of munitions and unexploded ordnance that have been buried or otherwise disposed of at the military reservation. The comment period began Jan. 22 and has been extended to Feb. 18.
In an effort to make the administrative order widely available to the public, it has been posted on EPA's web site at www.epa.gov/region01. Hard copies of the order and other materials related to the ongoing investigations to remove unexploded ordnance from the 14,000-acre Camp Edwards training grounds at MMR are available for review at the following locations:
- Impact Area Groundwater Study Office, Building 2816, Rm 228, Camp Edwards, Mass
- U.S. Coast Guard Library, Building 5205, Ent Street, Otis, ANG Base, Mass.
- Jonathan Bourne Library, 19 Sandwich Road, Bourne, Mass.
- Falmouth Public Library, 123 Katharine Lee Bates Road, Falmouth, Mass.
- Mashpee Public Library, Steeple Street, Mashpee Common, Mashpee, Mass.