1999 News Releases
IT’S EASY BEING GREEN FOR THE HOLIDAYS !
Release Date: 11/24/1999
Contact Information: Roseann Deal (215) 814-2996
Roseann Deal (215) 814-2996
Philadelphia - Looking for ways to give low cost, environmentally friendly gifts for the holidays? The Environmental Protection Agency has some ideas that will please everyone on your holiday gift list, while reducing waste and conserving precious natural resources.
- Buy gift memberships to museums and zoos (check out zoo animal adoption programs).
- Present gift certificates for getaway weekends, music or sports lessons, or guided tours.
- Purchase concert, theater or movie tickets.
- Support an environmental organization.
- Give coupons good for personal services: car washing, babysitting, or snow shoveling.
- Make and deliver a home cooked meal.
- Plan day trips to nearby places of interest.
- Design a holiday web site to share messages and photos.
- E-mail your holiday cards and letters.
- Make investments for family members in ‘green’ companies.
- Give seeds from heirloom plants to help biodiversity.
- Create a book of your favorite recipes.
- Give a pledge of support to a child refugee or local homeless shelter.
- Design a calendar decorated with family photos (include birthdays and anniversaries).
- Call your local social services agency or place of worship and donate to needy families.
- Purchase alternative energy products such as solar or crank powered radios.
- Refinish a piece of furniture using water-based finishes.
- Offer to clean out a closet or junk drawer, iron, sew, mend, do home repairs or organize scrap books and photo albums for the procrastinators on your list.
- Book a date for an outing for lunch, movies or a museum.
- Plant a tree in someone’s honor.
- Give your time, give of yourself.
More ideas on alternative gifts are available on the these web sites:
The Center for a New American Dream - "Simplify the Holidays!"
California Integrated Waste Management Board - "Deck the Halls with Less Waste This Year!"http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/PublicEd/Holidays/
Co-op America - "WoodWise Holiday Tips"
Use Less Stuff Report - "42 Ways to Trim Your Holiday Wasteline"
US EPA - "Energy-Efficient Energy Star Residential Appliances"