Children's Health Protection
Many individuals and agencies assisted with the preparation of this report.
The report's principal authors and project managers were Tracey J. Woodruff and Daniel A. Axelrad, of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) National Center for Environmental Economics, and Amy D. Kyle, of the University of California at Berkeley, School of Public Health. This report was edited by Brad Hurley of ICF Consulting. This report would not be possible without the support and leadership of Ramona Trovato, Director of the Office of Children's Health Protection and Al McGartland, Director of the National Center for Environmental Economics.
Representatives from various EPA offices provided assistance with obtaining data, selecting measures to be included in this initial report, and internal peer review. They included the following:
- Office of Air and Radiation: Barry Gilbert, Brian Gregory, David Guinnup, Wendy Kammer, David McKee, David Mintz
- Office of Children's Health Protection: Michael Firestone
- Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance: Sue Pohedran
- Office of Environmental Information: Rebecca Madisonn
- Office of Prevention, Pesticides, and Toxics Substances: Doreen Cantor, Elizabeth Doyle, Tim Kiely, Joseph Merenda, Andy Privee, Martha Shimkin, William Smith, David Widawsky, Pamela Wilkes
- Office of Research and Development: Jane Caldwelln Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response: Paul Balserak, David Bennett, Rafael Gonzalez
- Office of Water: Rebecca Allen, Lee Kyle, Abraham Siegel, Elizabeth Southerland, James Taft, Sherri Umansky
- Region 6: Evelyn Daniels
Other federal agencies that provided assistance with data and analysis included the following:
- National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Lara Akinbami, Larry Edmonds, Clifford Johnson, Sherline Lee, Deborah Levey, Sue Partridge, Diane Shinberg, Paula Yoon
- U.S. Census Bureau: Larry Sink
Abt Associates compiles much of the data analyzed for the report, under contract with EPA. Abt's contributors to this report included Amy Benson, Jennifer Brady, Kathleen Cunningham, Kenneth Davidson, Brad Firlie, Paul First, Rosaline Juan, Emily King, Laura Kirk, Don McCubbin, Daniel McMartin, Suzanne Persyn, Ellen Post, David Pulaski, and Andrew Stoeckle.
The following individuals served as external peer reviewers for the report: David Brown, Northeast States for Coordinated Air Use Management; Patricia A. Buffler, University of California, Berkeley; Gwen Collman, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences; Fernando Guerra, San Antonio Metropolitan Health District; Polly Hoppin, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; Phil Lee, University of California, San Francisco; Maria Morandi, University of Texas, Houston; Swati Prakash and Peggy Shepard, West Harlem Environmental Action; Kristin Ryan, Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation; Ken Schoendorf and Diane Wagener, National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Nadia Shalauta Juzych, Michigan Public Health Institute; Daniel Swartz, Children's Environmental Health Network; John Wargo, Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies; and Cynthia Warrick, Howard University.