Children's Health Protection
Student Curriculum: Recipes for Healthy Kids and a Healthy Environment
View/Download Lesson Plans
This lesson teaches kids about the earth's orbit around the sun, the Greenhouse Effect, and how to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases in the earth's atmosphere.
Kids Will Be Able to:
- explain what the sun is;
- explain the rotation and revolution of the earth around the sun;
- explain what our atmosphere is and what it does; and
- explain how climate change impacts them and the simple steps that they can take to help reduce greenhouse gases.
How to Get This Lesson:
- The complete lesson plan offers everything you need, including all visual materials.
- You can also download materials separately so you can print the visuals in a larger size or show them on a screen.
Download the Complete Lesson Plan
Lesson 5: Climate Change and You (PDF) (22pp, 6.32MB)
Download Parts of the Lesson Plan
- Lesson Cards (PDF) (9pp, 2.44MB)
Handouts for Kids
- Take-Home Talk (PDF) (2pp, 1.14MB)
Additional Online Resources
Looking for more resources for instructors or activities for kids on this topic? Check out these suggested resources from federal and state organizations.
- EPA: A Student's Guide to Global Climate Change
- Global Change Research Program: Climate Change Wildlife and Wildlands Toolkit—Polar/Subpolar Region (PDF) (4pp, 822K)
Kids' Activities / Coloring Sheets
- EPA: Trash and Climate Change Activity Book (PDF) (11pp, 379K)