Symposium on Cost-Effectiveness Analysis for Multiple Benefits
NCEE hosted a one-day symposium on "Cost-Effectiveness Analysis for Multiple Benefits." The workshop was held on September 9, 2003, at the Willard InterContinental Hotel, at 1401 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20004. If you have questions, please send an email to Julie Hewitt
The presenters' slides are available now as Adobe pdf files. A proceedings document with more background, context and detail (more user-friendly for those unable to attend the symposium) will be available by the end of October. To view a PDF document, you need the Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don't already have this software, you can download a free copy
Size, PDF file
|All||Agenda for the symposium|
|Brian Heninger||Why a One Dimensional Approach Won't Work for a Multi-Dimensional Problem|
|Barbara Cole||The Air Quality Context|
|Charles Griffiths||Multi-Criteria Cost Effectiveness Using a Water Quality Index|
|David Montgomery||Three Alternatives for Implementing Multi-Dimensional Cost-Effectiveness Analysis|
|Tyler Fox||Comments on "Three Alternatives"|
|Jan Miller||Comments on "Three Alternatives"|
|Randy Lutter||Clean Air for Less: Exploiting Tradeoffs Between Different Air Pollutants|
|Carl Pasurka||Comments on "Clean Air for Less"|
|Bryan Hubbell||QALYs as an Effectiveness Metric for Air Pollution Regulations|
|David Wiley||Efficiency Measures: Current Efforts in the Context of Budgeting/Planning|
|Bryan Hubbell||Identification of Cost Effectiveness Measures Using Response-Surface Modeling|
|Skip Laitner||Incorporating Industrial Productivity Benefits into the Assessment of Energy Efficiency Investments|
Directions to the Symposium:
- By Metro: The Willard is just two blocks from the Metro Center station. The station exits and the Willard are both shown on the following map.
- From National Airport (15 minutes travel time by taxi, sedan or shuttle bus), directions by car: Exit from the airport onto George Washington (GW) Parkway towards Washington. Take the GW Parkway to I-395 North. This will bring you into Washington across the 14th Street Bridge. Stay in the left lane while crossing the bridge and follow the signs for 14th Street (US Route 1) which will be straight ahead. Follow 14th Street past the Washington Monument. At Pennsylvania Avenue, turn left and the hotel is immediately on your right.
- From Dulles International Airport (45 minutes travel time by taxi, sedan or shuttle bus), directions by car: Follow I-66 across the Potomac River via the Roosevelt Bridge. While crossing the bridge, stay in the center lane which becomes Constitution Avenue. Follow Constitution about 8 blocks until 15th Street. Turn left onto 15th Street. Continue on 15th Street to F Street. Turn right onto F Street and turn right at the next corner onto 14th Street. Turn right again at the next corner onto Pennsylvania Avenue, and the hotel is on your immediate right (the garage entrance is on F Street if you wish to park yourself).
- From BWI Airport (50 minutes travel time by taxi, sedan or shuttle bus)
- Visitors/Daily Parking: Valet parking is available for hotel visitors. Daily parking rates are $8.00 (up to one hour), $13.00 (one to two hours), $17.00 (two to ten hours) and $25.00 (over ten hours).
Interested citizens, government officials and regulated parties are invited to attend. Many interested parties have expressed to EPA the need for additional guidance on how to conduct better cost-effectiveness analysis when multiple benefits result from the implementation of pollution-control technologies and public outreach programs (e.g. reducing vehicle miles traveled decreases fuel consumption and a variety of air pollutants).