Recommendations for People Who are Buying or Selling a Building
Recommendations for People Who Are Buying a Building:
Recommendations for People Who Are Selling a Building:
- Contact the District Health Department either at (208) 233-9080 in Pocatello or (208) 547-4375 in Soda Springs to determine if the building is listed on the Southeast Idaho Phosphorus Slag Inventory.
- If the building is not listed on the inventory, you may want to ask the building owner to have it tested. Find out the results.
- If the test results of a building you purchase indicate the potential for elevated radiation exposure due to the presence of phosphorus slag, take action to reduce that exposure. Consult the Technical Work Group's recommendations and have the building retested.
Will this program affect my property values?
If you have your property tested and (1) no elevated radiation levels are found or (2) elevated radiation levels are reduced by implementing one of the Technical Work Group's recommended action options, then prospective buyers can be reassured. Such reasurrance should enhance your property's value as compared to other properties that have not been tested.
Southeast Idaho Phosphorus Slag Homepage
- If you haven't already done so, sign up to participate in the slag program. Find out if phosphorus slag in your building is causing elevated radiation levels.
- If testing results indicate the potential for exposure to elevated radiation levels as a result of phosphorus slag, take action to reduce that exposure according to the Technical Work Group's recommendations.
- After taking action to reduce radiation exposure, have the building retested to find out if the action was effective. Have the District Health Department update the information in the Southeast Idaho Phosphorus Slag Inventory.