How to Reduce Lead Exposure in Northport
While the situation at Northport is not life-threatening, long-term exposure to contaminated soils, especially for young children, could increase the risk of health problems. Until contaminated soils are cleaned up, you can take a few precautionary measures to reduce your family’s exposure. To make sure you do not accidentally eat or swallow soils, or bring them into your home:
If you have additional questions about how to reduce exposure to contamination, call Jim Matsuyama at the Northeast Tri County Health District at 509-684-2262.
- Wash your hands frequently and wear gloves when you work with soils in your yard
- Remove your shoes before entering your house
- Control dust in your house with a wet mop, sponge or towel
- Wash fruits and vegetables grown in your yard before eating them
- Frequently wash pets and toys that touch soil in your yard