The Reynolds Metals Superfund Site is located twenty miles east of Portland, Oregon, just north of the town of Troutdale. It was built in 1941 to produce aluminum for the United States government. Reynolds bought the facility in the 1940's and operated it until 2000 when it was purchased and then closed by Alcoa, Inc. Demolition of the buildings and other structures at the site took place from 2003 to 2005.
Reynolds Metals was added to EPA's National Priorities List in 1994 because soil and groundwater were contaminated with fluoride, polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH's), polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB's) and other hazardous substances. Early action was taken between 1994 and 2002 to clean up the property including removal of contamination at the cryolite ponds, east potliner area, PCB and diesel spill areas, bakehouse sumps, and scrap-yard areas.
In 2002, EPA issued an Interim Record of Decision to address additional source areas and contaminated groundwater. Actions specified in the Interim ROD were completed during the next three years, including removing contaminated soil and material from Company Lake, North Landfill, South Landfill and the scrap yard. In addition, Reynolds constructed and began operation of a groundwater extraction system.
A Final Record of Decision was issued for the Reynolds Metals Site in September 2006. The ROD speficied continued operation of the groundwater pumping system and established institutional controls such as fencing and site use restrictions.
For an accessible or alternate version of any PDF listed below please contact: Judy Smith at email@example.com.
None at this time.
Major site documents:
|You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more. |