Northwest Pipe and Casing in Clackamas, Oregon was the location of pipe manufacturing and coating operations from 1956 to 1985. Waste from the facility contaminated the soil and groundwater with solvents, primers, coal tar, coal-tar residues, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), and oils.
The site was added to EPA’s National Priorities List 1992. The following year, the buildings were demolished and a fence was constructed to keep people away from the site. In 1998, two underground fuel tanks were decommissioned and removed from the site. In 1999, security patrols were started to keep trespassers off the site. Following a comprehensive study, EPA issued a groundwater cleanup plan in 2001 and a soil cleanup plan in 2000.
In 2006, five-year review of the site found that human health and the environment were currently protected, but EPA needs to modify the cleanup plan to make sure that the remedy for groundwater contamination continues to protect people and wildlife in the future.
- Second Five-Year Review (PDF) (147 pp, 15MB) - September 2011
- Time Critical Removal Action Report (PDF) (773 pp, 23.8MB) - June 2011
- Easement and Equitable Servitudes (PDF) (13 pp, 491K)
- Explanation of Significant Differences for the Groundwater (OU 2) Record of Decision (PDF) (8 pp, 351K) - December 2008
- Focused Field Investigation (PDF) (169 pp, 2.75MB) - Fall 2008. Appendices B: Lab Results and E: Investigative Derived Wastes are available upon request to Mark Ader.
- Remedial Site Evaluation Report (PDF) - September 2007 (42pp, 1MB)
- NWPC Five-Year Review (PDF) (111 pp, 4MB to start) - signed September 22, 2006
- Explanation of Significant Differences (PDF) (14 pp, 113K)- March 23, 2004
- Groundwater (OU 2) Record of Decision (ROD) (PDF) (158 pp, 2.5MB) - September 27, 2001
- Proposed Plan for Groundwater Treatment - Public Comment Period May 18 through June 18, 2000
- Groundwater Administrative Record (NWGAR)
- Remedial Administrative Record Index
- Removal Administrative Record Index
- Soils Record of Decision (ROD) (PDF) (150 pp, 358K) - June 2000 figures available for viewing in the Superfund Record Center, NW Pipe and Casing Repositories or by FOIA request.
- Soils Proposed Plan (PDF) - Public Comment Period (16 pp, 95K) January 31 through February 29, 2000
|You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more. |