Ketchikan Pulp Company
Where you can find documents
Official records and other documents about the Ketchikan Pulp Company Superfund Site are available at:
- Ketchikan Public Library
1110 Copper Ridge Lane
Ketchikan, AK 99901
- Juneau ADEC Office
410 Willoughby Avenue, Suite 303
Juneau, AK 99811
- Region 10 Library
1200 Sixth Avenue, 1st Floor
Seattle, WA 98101
206 553-1289 or 1-800-424-4372
- Region 10 Superfund Records Center
1200 Sixth Avenue, Suite 900, ECL-076
Seattle, WA 98101
206-553-4494 or toll-free at 1-800-424-4372 (please call for an appointment)
The EPA inspected the environmental cleanup at the Ketchikan Pulp Company (KPC) Superfund Site in June 2015 as part of the site’s third Five-Year Review (see documents below). We determined that the remedies for the Uplands and Marine Operable Units are still protective of human health and the environment.
The Ketchikan Pulp Company (KPC) site is located on the shoreline of Ward Cove, near Ketchikan, Alaska. KPC formerly operated a pulp mill on the upland area and discharged to Ward Cove. Contaminants in the upland area included lead, PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls), arsenic, and petroleum compounds. Contaminated soils were removed and EPA placed long-term controls on the property to restrict uses at the property to industrial uses.
In the bottom sediments in Ward Cove, the contaminants are ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, and 4-methylphenol. EPA dredged about three acres of sediments in Ward Cove, capped about 27 acres with a thin layer of clean material, and left another 50 acres of contaminated sediments to recover naturally.
The upland and marine sediment cleanups were completed between 1998 and 2001. All remedies at the site are protective of human health and the environment.
Five-year reviews are conducted to ensure that remedial actions continue to be protective of human health and the environment. Three five-year reviews have been completed for this site.
Uplands Operable Unit (Mill Site)
EPA Mill Site contact: Anne Christopher (email@example.com), 503-326-6554
ADEC Mill Site contact: Evonne Reese (firstname.lastname@example.org), 907-465-5229
Marine Operable Unit (Ward Cove)
EPA Ward Cove contact: Karen Keeley (email@example.com), 206-553-2141
ADEC Ward Cove contact: Evonne Reese (firstname.lastname@example.org), 907-465-5229
- Residue and Dissolved Oxygen TMDL (PDF) (224 pp, 5.7MB)
- Biochemical Oxygen Demand TMDL (PDF) (7 pp, 35K)
- Remedial Action Report: Sediment Remediation (PDF) (30 pp, 1MB) - September 30, 2009.
- 2009 Published Paper on Sediment Remediation in Ward Cove (PDF) (12 pp, 830KB)
- 2007 Sediment Remediation Monitoring Report (PDF) (226 pp, 29MB) Full Report - April 2009
- 2005 Monitoring Report for Sediment Remediation (108 pp, 2.3MB to start) - June 2005
- Environmental Easement and Declaration of Covenants (PDF) (18 pp, 1MB) - July 2004
- Addendum to Long-Term Monitoring and Reporting Plan for Sediment Remediation in Ward Cove (PDF) (4 pp, 30K) - January 3, 2002
- Long-Term Monitoring and Reporting Plan for Sediment Remediation in Ward Cove (PDF) (194 pp, 2MB) - September 2001
- Final Construction Report (PDF) (594 pp, 14M) - July 2001
- Download Bathymetry Arcview Shapefile data (6.5 MB) - viewable in freeware ArcExplorer
- Performance Standard Verification Plan (PDF) (42 pp, 642K) - September 2000
- Design Analysis Report (PDF) (368 pp, 5MB) - September 2000
- Marine Operable Unit Record of Decision Signiture Page (PDF) (1 page, 500K) - March 29, 2000
- Marine Operable Unit Record of Decision (PDF) (130 pp, 2.5MB) - March 29, 2000
- Administrative Record Index
- Proposed Cleanup Plan for Ward Cove Sediment Remediation Summary (PDF) (2 pp, 16K)- July 1999
- Proposed Plan (PDF) (23 pp, 158K) - July 1999
- ADEC Waterbody Recovery Plan Summary (PDF) (2 pp, 16K) - July 1999
- Ward Cove Sediment Remediation Report, Detailed Technical Studies Report, RI/FS, Volume I and Volume II (PDF) (1082 pp, 17MB) - May 1999
- Ward Cove Sediment remediation Project, Technical Studies, Field Sampling Plan for the Phase 2 Investigations (PDF) (249 pp, 15MB) - June 1997