Euclid Road Groundwater Site
On 8/24/2005, EPA received information that two private drinking water wells in the Deep Creek area of Spokane County, Washington contained unusually high levels of Trichloroethene (TCE), a commonly used solvent. The TCE was discovered during the EPA Preliminary Assessment and Site Inspection of a former Air Force Nike Missile Battery in the area.
EPA Contact Information
Community Involvement Coordinator
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
EPA tests identified a total of three home wells which contained TCE at levels greater than federal drinking water standards. These wells are near Euclid Road between North Wood and Ritchie Roads. EPA installed filters to remove TCE at these wells and has tested other home wells in the area. TCE has not been detected in wells outside the initial study area. EPA has installed new wells to understand where the TCE is and where it came from.
Drinking water with small amounts of TCE for long periods may cause liver and kidney damage, impaired immune system function, and impaired fetal development in pregnant women. The extent of some of these effects is not yet clear. Please see the updates below for more background on this site.
- Map of Euclid Road Investigation Area (PDF) (1 pp, 686K) - August 2006
- Results of TCE Monitoring Well Sampling from 2006 to 2009 (PDF) (1 pp, 4.5MB)
- Results of TCE Monitoring Well Sampling from 2005 to 2007 (PDF) (1 pp, 461K)
- TCE for residential and monitoring wells (PDF) (1 pp, 465K) - October 2007
- 2007 Spring Sampling results for Perchlorate and NDMA (PDF) (3 pp, 1.5MB)
- April/May 2007 TCE Sampling Map (PDF) (1 pp, 777K)
- 2006 December Sampling results for TCE, Perchlorate, and NMDA (PDF) (3 pp, 1.6MB)
- 2006 June Sampling results for TCE, Perchlorate, and NMDA (PDF) (3 pp, 795K)
The Administrative Record (collection of important documents associated with this site) is available for public review at the Airway Heights library, 1213 S. Lundstrom St., Airway Heights, WA 99001 (509 893-8250) and at the EPA Records Center, 7th Floor, 1200 6th Avenue, Suite 900, Seattle, WA 98101 (800-424-4372). Please Contact the Library and Records Center for hours and appointments.