Wastewater Discharge Permits | Region 10 | US EPA

Jump to main content.

Wastewater Discharge Permits

Any facility that discharges wastewater directly to surface water must obtain a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit from EPA or the state.

Which agencies are responsible for issuing NPDES permits?

EPA is responsible for issuing NPDES permits in Region 10 except as noted below:

Alaska: Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation Exit EPA disclaimer currently issues all NPDES permits in Alaska except oil and gas facilities, munitions, cooling water, pesticides, off-shore seafood processors, and on tribal lands. EPA is in the process of transferring additional NDPES authority to Alaska.

Idaho: EPA issues all NPDES permits in Idaho.

Oregon: Oregon Department of Environmental Quality Exit EPA disclaimer issues all NPDES permits in Oregon except on tribal lands.

Washington: Washington Department of Ecology Exit EPA disclaimer issues all NPDES permits in Washington except federal facilities and permits on tribal lands.

Tribal lands: EPA issues all NPDES permits on tribal lands.

EPA's Priority Permits for 2013-2015

EPA determines priorities for NPDES permits in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington based on the following factors:

Watersheds: Puget Sound; Boise River and Lower Snake River; Spokane and Coeur d’Alene Rivers; Middle and Upper Snake Rivers (including the Portneuf River)

Sectors: Mining; Oil & Gas; Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs); Pesticide applications to surface water

Other factors: Backlog of expired permits; General permits; Small cities in Idaho; Tribal jurisdictions; Storm water

Local Navigation

URL: http://yosemite.epa.gov/R10/WATER.NSF/NPDES+Permits/Permits+Homepage

Jump to main content.