Mission Statement for Working With Tribes
Assist the Region’s work with the federally recognized Tribes of the Pacific Northwest and Alaska in protecting, restoring and preserving human health and the environment for present and future generations.
We honor the principles of EPA’s Indian Policy:
The Tribal Unit is accountable to both the EPA and Tribes located in Region 10. The Unit meets its responsibilities to the Region and the Tribes by:
- Uphold the federal government’s trust responsibility to consider and protect Tribal interests.
- Respect and promote Tribal sovereignty and self-determination.
- Work with Tribes on a government-to-government basis.
- Having an in-depth understanding of Tribal environmental needs.
- Advocating for Tribal environmental needs and perspectives at all levels.
- Assisting EPA employees and others to understand the unique needs, culture and status of Tribal governments.
- Managing capacity-building and water grants to Tribes.