North Ridge Estates is a residential subdivision located approximately three miles north of Klamath Falls, Oregon. The site is contaminated with asbestos-containing materials (ACM) resulting from the demolition of approximately eighty 1940s-era military barracks buildings. EPA is conducting a Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Study (RI/FS) at North Ridge Estates to evaluate cleanup alternatives and decide on a final remedy for asbestos contamination at the site.
The draft work plan for completing the RI/FS is available for review. The work plan details the activities that will be conducted to assess potential human health and ecological risks presented by contamination at the site and to determine appropriate actions to address those risks. Click here to view or download the April 2006 draft RI/FS work plan.
EPA conducted a series of emergency removals between 2003 and 2005, but were unable to mitigate unacceptable risks to residents of the site. Residents were temporarily relocated from the site for three months in 2005 and in January 2006, the developer entered a consent decree to permanently relocate the majority of the residents. Click here to view or download the January 2006 consent decree.
In some cases, EPA needs to take quick action to protect human health or remove a known source of contamination. These cleanup projects are sometimes called "early actions" or "removal."
Responsible Party Removal Action Report (65 p 335 KB .pdf to start) - February 2005
Surficial Removal and Burial Locations Actions Report (66 p 91 KB .pdf) - January 2004
Steamline Location Map - September 2003
Pollution Reports are written during Removal Actions to keep all informed of the Progress
- Pollution Report - October 10, 2003 (3 page 93 KB .pdf file)
- Pollution Report - September 19, 2003 (3 page 93 KB .pdf file)
- Superfund Health Investigation & Education Lead Memo - September 3, 2003 (2 pages 66 KB .pdf file)
- Pollution Report (3 pages 100 KB .pdf file) - September 12, 2003
- Pollution Report (3 pages 94 KB .pdf file) - September 5, 2003
- Pollution Report (3 pages 94 KB .pdf file) - August 29, 2003
- Pollution Report (3 page 101 KB .pdf file) - August 22, 2003
- Pollution Report (3 pages 100 KB .pdf file) - August 15, 2003
- Pollution Report (3 pages 100 KB .pdf file) - August 8, 2003
- Pollution Report (3 pages 100 KB .pdf file) - August 1, 2003