The Commencement Bay Nearshore-Tideflats (CB-NT) Superfund site is located in the City of Tacoma and the Town of Ruston at the southern end of Puget Sound in Washington. It encompasses an active commercial seaport and includes 12 square miles of shallow water, shoreline, and adjacent land, most of which is highly developed and industrialized. EPA placed the site on the Superfund National Priorities List in 1983 due to widespread contamination of the water, sediments, and upland areas. The site is divided into a number of separate Project Areas being managed as distinct sites.
Sitewide Five Year Review Reports
We are beginning the fourth five-year review of the environmental cleanups at the Commencement Bay Nearshore/Tideflats Superfund site. As someone living close to the site you may know things that can help our review team determine whether the different areas are still safe. If you have information you would like us to consider during our review, please contact the project manager for that particular project area before April 15, 2014.
- Smelter Complex, Residential Cleanup, Sediments - Kevin Rochlin (firstname.lastname@example.org), 206-553-2106
- Tacoma Tar Pits - Tamara Langton (email@example.com), 206-553-2709
- Hylebos Waterway - Jonathan Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org), 206-553-1369
- Thea Foss Waterway - Osgood Waterways - Bill Ryan (email@example.com), 206-553-8561
- Middle Waterway - Nancy Harney (firstname.lastname@example.org), 206-553-6635
- Sitcum Waterway - Karen Keeley (email@example.com), 206-553-2141
- St. Paul Waterway - Karen Keeley (firstname.lastname@example.org), 206-553-2141
- Occidental Chemical Removal - Jonathan Williams (email@example.com), 206-553-1369
- Olympic View Resource Area - Karen Keeley (firstname.lastname@example.org), 206-553-2141