Site Type: Short Term/Removal (SHORT)
PLINY STREET (76-80)
| Street Address: || 76-80 PLINY STREET |
| Zip Code: || 06120 |
| Congressional |
| EPA ID #: || CTN000103101 |
| Site ID #: || 0103101|
| Site Alias: || |
The property at 76-80 Pliny Street in Hartford, Connecticut, had been abandoned since approximately 1994. It was originally a metal plating facility and included four interconnected buildings on a 1.6 acre lot. In June 2000, the City of Hartford (City) demolished the abandoned buildings due to their state of neglect, and structurally unsafe condition. Precipitation during the demolition of the subfloors caused several puddles of a yellowish/green liquid to form. On July 7, 2000, the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection (CTDEP) investigated the site and requested that the City sample and analyze the soils and puddled areas. The analytical results revealed that the soils contained elevated levels of chromium and lead. The highest concentrations were 74,600 parts per million (ppm) of total chromium, 240 ppm of hexavalent chromium, and 12,300 ppm of lead.
The City had the puddles removed, pumped out the contents and removed an underground storage tank (UST) which contained #2 fuel oil. The City noticed that the soil under and around the UST, had a yellowish/green color, similar to the soil areas that revealed elevated levels of chromium and lead. As a preventive measure it backfilled the excavation and placed clean soil on top of the previously puddled areas and covered with several layers of polyethylene plastic. On August 1, 2000, the City met with the CTDEP and informed them that the City would not commit to any further corrective actions for this site. Based on the magnitude of the problem and the limited resources available, the CTDEP requested the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) assistance on August 4, 2000. On September 12, 2000, EPA conducted a Preliminary Assessment and Site Investigation (PA/SI). During the PA/SI, surface soil samples were collected and analyzed for metals, cyanide, polychlorinated biphenyls, volatile organic compounds, and semivolatile organic compounds. The PA/SI revealed that the soils were contaminated with hexavalent chromium at 151 ppm.
Based on the PA/SI and visual investigation, the On-Scene Coordinator prepared an Action Memorandum for a removal action.
A short term cleanup (REMOVAL) at the site was started on 9/29/00 and completed on 6/1/01.
EPA held meetings to inform the residents of the sample results as well as the plans to conduct a Removal Action which would begin by conducting an extent of Contamination Study to further characterize the contamination at the site. Conducted the Extent of Contamination Survey. To limit contact with contaminated soils, EPA re-covered the site with an impermeable polyethylene cover that is tear resistant containing UV inhibitors (DURA-SKRIM 12BBR). Re-secured the site by installing an 8 foot fence on the entire portion of the site adjacent to Pliny Street. EPA held neighborhood meeting and informed the residents of its findings regarding the extent of contamination study. CTDEP informed the residents that potentially responsible parties ( PRPs) have been identified and that it would negotiate an Order of Consent with them. EPA informed the PRPs that the site poses a direct contact threat to the residents of the area as well as to trespassers and that additional interim measures are necessary to abate the contact threat. With EPA oversight, the PRPs installed a temporary cover for the winter months that consisted of placing Geotextile fabric (a nonwoven polypropylene geotextile) followed by 6 inches of processed gravel over the entire footprint of the former facility. The temporary cover is installed over an area of approximately 10,000 square feet. EPA held meeting with the neighborhood residents and local politicians to inform the attendees of all EPA activities as well as future activities that will take place once the PRPs sign a Consent Order with CTDEP to perform cleanup of the site. CTDEP negotiated an Order of Consent with PRPs to investigate the extent of contamination at the site. EPA continued to monitor negotiations between the CTDEP and the PRPs to ensure that the removal activities would be accomplished by the PRPs before EPA relinquished its role as the lead Agency. On June 1, 2001, EPA was notified that the CTDEP and the PRPs had signed Order of Consent under which removal activity would be included. EPA concluded its role as the lead agency at the Site on June 1, 2001. The PRPs removed 47 truckloads (approximately 1,000 tons) of contaminated soil from the site and constructed an interim cap by placing clean fill over the excavated areas. All these activities were done with CTDEP oversight.
Links to Other Information
Public Record Locations
OSRR Records and Information Center, 1st Floor, 5 Post Office Square, Suite 100 (HSC), Boston, MA 02109-3912 (617) 918-1440
| Address: || One Congress Street, Suite 1100 (HBR)|
Boston, MA 02114-2023
| Phone #:||617-918-1284 |
| E-Mail Address:||firstname.lastname@example.org |