Site Type: Short Term/Removal (SHORT)
SUNNYBROOK STATE PARK
| Street Address: || LITCHFIELD ROAD |
| Zip Code: || 06790 |
| Congressional |
| EPA ID #: || CTN000103068 |
| Site ID #: || 0103068|
| Site Alias: || |
The site, approximately an acre in size, is located in an undeveloped 220-acre state park between Old Newfield Road and the East Branch of the Naugatuck River, in Torrington, Litchfield County, Connecticut. The dimensions of the asbestos disposal area are approximately 350 feet long, with widths ranging from 20 to 100 feet, and depths estimated at 3 to 6 feet. A flood control dam constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and maintained by the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection (CT DEP) is located approximately 600 feet downstream of the Site. During the 1950's, the Site was occupied by three private residences. The property owners were employees of Fitzgerald Manufacturing Company (manufacturer of gaskets) which operated in Torrington. The property owners brought asbestos-containing materials (ACM) from the company for use as fill on their properties in flood prone areas. In 1962, the State of Connecticut purchased several parcels of land along the East Branch of the Naugatuck River, including the three parcels containing the ACM fill area, in anticipation of a federal flood control project. In 1964, USACE relocated the residences and constructed the flood control dam. From May 1991 to August 1999, the CT DEP received complaints, conducted investigations and confirmed the presence of ACM at concentrations ranging from 2% to 40%. Access to the site is unrestricted and the site is frequently used for public recreational activities including dog walking, biking and walking baby carriages. In the fall of 1999, CT DEP referred the site to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) due to the potential for the public to become in contact with ACM. From September 5, 2000, through June 22, 2001, EPA conducted a time-critical removal action.
A short term cleanup (REMOVAL) at the site was started on 8/30/00 and completed on 6/15/01.
EPA removed visible asbestos waste gaskets from the river sediment and placed them within the boundary of the waste disposal area; conducted excavation of asbestos wastes along the river bank, construction of a cap and site restoration activities in accordance with an engineer-designed cap and restoration plan agreed to by both CT DEP and USACE.
View of gasket material in excavated riverbank.
Links to Other Information
Public Record Locations
OSRR Records and Information Center, 1st Floor, 5 Post Office Square, Suite 100 (HSC), Boston, MA 02109-3912 (617) 918-1440
| Address: || One Congress Street, Suite 1100 (HBR)|
Boston, MA 02114-2023
| Phone #:||617-918-1231 |
| E-Mail Address:||firstname.lastname@example.org |