Standard: Maps of the US
On this page
- Use standard maps to display geographic information. Color relevant areas appropriate to the data being displayed.
- When using maps to link to regional information, follow the requirements in the Where You Live standard.
- When using the national maps, link to the standard files instead of making your own copy.
- When using maps as Web navigation, use the standard image map code, changing only the destination URLs.
- If there are states or regions for which no information is available, create a new map from the original and gray out those areas. In text above the map, add "No information is available for grayed-out regions."
- Do not use mouse-overs to differentiate map areas.
Full Metadata about this standard
Name Maps of the US
Tracking number NT00000000
Required or Recommended Required
Effective date 01/01/2004
Date approved 07/01/2011
Category Graphics and Multimedia, Links and Navigation
Web Council review by 07/01/2013 (or earlier if deemed necessary by the Web Council)
Governing Policy Web Governance and Management (PDF) (4 pp, 339K, About PDF)